Emergency preparedness isn’t about the zombie apocalypse. It’s about surviving unexpected emergencies. We have seen all sorts of natural and weather disasters: tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons, massive snowstorms, and more. It’s important to be prepared for extended outages of electricity, lack of clean water, access to transportation, access to food, access to water, access to current information, access to medical care and more.
In this article, Jillee has collected a list of 80 different items to consider stocking up on in preparation for a serious emergency. This is really a list that’s intended to stimulate thinking about what you’d need to have if you were stranded at home or elsewhere for an extended period of time. One thing I’d add to the list is food and medications for your cats, dogs, and other pets.
The best time to plan for an emergency event is before it happens.
Here are just a few items on Jillee’s list:
- Water Containers
- Water filters, purifiers, water tablets, and water testing kit
- Lamp oil, wicks, mantles, oil lamps
- Lanterns with batteries that are rechargeable and a solar powered battery charger.
- Duct tape
- Tools – hammer, allen wrenches, files etc. propane soldering iron, solder
- Cook Stoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
- Can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks, kitchen utensils
- Canned fruits, vegetables, soups, stews, etc.
- Toilet paper, kleenex, paper towels
- First aid kits
- Wagons & utility carts (for transport to and from)
Click on the 80 Essential Items to Stock Up on for Emergencies link below to see Jillee’s entire list.