Thank you for visiting Herbs and Oils Hub!!
Medicinal vinegars are herbal extracts that use vinegar rather than alcohol. They have been used since ancient times. Traditional oxymels are just a seet and sour herbal syrup that use vingear as one ingredient. . Today herbal extracts are typically made with vodka or brandy. However, some people don’t want to use alcohol in their extracts. And others like to use traditional methods.
In this article, Jan explains how to make a vinegar herbal extract. She explains:
- The difference in potency between vinegar and alcohol-based extracts
- The advantages of vinegar extracts
- A basic vinegar extract recipe and simple tutorial
- A tip to get a clean batch of vinegar extract
- The difference in using dry herbs vs. fresh herbs
- How to dose the vinegar extract
- Shelf life
- Some cautions
Then Jan explains how to make an oxymel which again is a sweet and sour herbal syrup. They’re usually made to address respiratory conditions. She discusses:
- The cold method of making an oxymel
- The hot method of making an oxymel (faster)
- Dosage for oxymels
- Shelf life
Jan also includes:
- A recipe for a Rosemary-Sage Oxymel
- A fantastic list of 12 herbs and their medicinal benefits
This is a wonderful article, just crammed with good information. To read Jan’s complete article, click on the How to Make Medicinal Vinegars and Oxymels link below.